Josef K. Schmutz
Joe Schmutz has studied hawks near Hanna, Alberta for over 30 years. He has focussed on the Ferruginous Hawk and the Swainson's Hawk. He has also studied the Red-tailed Hawk and the Burrowing Owl. He has interacted extensively with ranchers who have helped raise the Ferruginous Hawk from threatened status in Canada. He has also studied the Swainson's Hawk and the Burrowing Owl in his long term study area south of Hanna, Alberta. One of the many "artificial nests" he has erected for hawks is shown at the right.
Selected Raptor Research Publications
- Schmutz, J. K. (2014). "A hunter-naturalist's observations of sharp-tailed grouse trends in Saskatchewan." Blue Jay 72(1): 28-45
- Wellicome, T. I., Ryan J. Fisher, Ray G. Poulin, L. Danielle Todd, Erin M. Bayne, D. T. Tyler Flockhart, Josef K. Schmutz, Ken De Smet, and Paul C. James (2014). "Apparent survival of adult Burrowing Owls that breed in Canada is influenced by weather during migration and on their wintering grounds." Condor - Ornithological Applications 116: 446-458.
- Schmutz, Josef K., Martin A. Gerard, Gordon S. Court, R. Wayne Nelson. 2014. Parental care by lone male American rough-legged hawks, ferruginous hawks and great horned owls was limited to providing food. Canadian-Field Naturalist 128:145-150. (canadianfieldnaturalist.ca/index.php/cfn/article/view/1578)
- Stoyanova, Yva, Nikolai Stefanov, José A. Donázar and Josef K. Schmutz. 2010. Twig used as a tool by the Egyptian Vulture (Neophron percnopterus). Journal of Raptor Research 44(2): 154-156.
- Schmutz, Josef K., D.T. Tyler Flockhart, C. Stuart Houston, Philip D. McLoughlin. 2008. Demography of ferruginous hawks breeding in western Canada. Journal of Wildlife Management, 72(6): 1352-1360.
- Schmutz, Josef K., Philip D. McLoughlin and C. Stuart Houston. 2006. Demography of Swainson's hawks breeding in western Canada. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:1456-1460
- Schmutz, Josef K., C. Stuart Houston and Samuel J. Barry. 2001. Prey and reproduction in a metapopulation decline among Swainson's hawks, Buteo swainsoni. Canadian Field-Naturalist 115:257-273.
- Houston, C. Stuart, and Josef K. Schmutz. 1999. Changes in bird populations on Canadian grasslands. Studies in Avian Biology No. 19:87-94.
- Clayton, Kort M., and Josef K. Schmutz. 1999. Is the decline of burrowing owls Speotyto cunicularia in prairie Canada linked to changes in Great Plains ecosystems? Bird Conservation International 9: 163-185.
- Schmutz, Josef K. 1997. Selected microhabitat variables near nests of burrowing owls compared to unoccupied sites in Alberta. J. Raptor Res. Report 9:80-83.
- Schmutz, Josef K., C. Stuart Houston and Geoffrey L. Holroyd. 1996. Southward migration of Swainson's hawks: over 10,000 km in 54 days. Blue Jay 54:70-76
- Houston, C. Stuart and Josef K. Schmutz. 1996. Swainson's hawk banding in North America to 1992. North American Bird Bander 20:120-127.
- Bechard, Marc J. and Josef K. Schmutz. 1995. Ferruginous hawk. 20 pages in The birds of North America: Life histories for the 21st Century. Published by the American Ornithologists Union and The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. (Invited)
- Houston, C. Stuart and Josef K. Schmutz. 1995. Declining reproduction among Swainson's hawks in prairie Canada. J. Raptor Res. 29:198-201
- Schmutz, Josef K. 1992. Molt of flight feathers in ferruginous and Swainson's hawks. J. Raptor Res. 26:124-135
- Schmutz, J.K., K. Rose, and R.J. Johnson. 1989. Hazards to hawks from strychnine-poisoned ground squirrels. J. Raptor Res. 23:147-151.
- Schmutz, J.K., and D.J. Hungle. 1989. Populations of ferruginous and Swainson's hawks fluctuate in synchrony with ground squirrels. Canadian Journal of Zoology 67:2596-2601.
- Schmutz, J.K. 1989.
Hawk occupancy of disturbed grasslands in relation to models of habitat selection. Condor 91:362-371.
- Schmutz, J.K., W.D. Wishart, J. Allen, R. Bjorge, and D.A. Moore. 1988. Dual use of nest platforms by Canada geese and hawks. Wildlife Soc. Bull. 16:141-145.
- Schmutz, J.K. 1987. The effect of agricultural practices on ferruginous and Swainson's hawks. J. Range Manage. 40:438-440.
- Schmutz, J.K., and R.W. Fyfe. 1987. Migration and mortality of Alberta ferruginous hawks. Condor 89:169-174.
- Schmutz, J.K. 1984. Ferruginous and Swainson's hawk abundance and distribution in relation to land use in southeastern Alberta. J. Wildl. Manage. 48:1180-1187.
- Schmutz, J.K., R.W. Fyfe, D.A. Moore, and A.R. Smith. 1984. Artificial nests for ferruginous and Swainson's hawks. J. Wildl. Manage. 48:1180-1187.
- Schmutz, S.M., and J.K. Schmutz. 1981. Inheritance of color phases in ferruginous hawks. Condor 83:187-189.
- Schmutz, J.K., S.M. Schmutz, and D.A. Boag. 1980. Coexistence among three species of prairie hawks (Buteo spp.) in the prairie-parkland ecotone of southeastern Alberta. Can. J. Zool. 58:1075-1089.
- Schmutz, S.M., D.A. Boag, and J.K. Schmutz. 1979. Causes of the unequal sex ratio in populations of adult Richardson's ground squirrels. Can J. Zool. 57:1849-1855.
Selected Environmental Publications
- Smith, Norman D., and Josef K. Schmutz, Co-chairs. 2008. Saskatchewan River Delta: Past, Present and Future. Proceedings. Partners For the Saskatchewan River Delta, Saskatoon, 1-3 April 2008.
- Schmutz, Josef K., Allen Patkau, Ken Belcher, Renny W. Grilz, Peter E. Joyce, Wade and Louise Popescul, Kerry Holderness. 2007. Value and Preservation of Ecological Services of the Northern Great Plains. Pp. 131-186 in Robert Warnock, David Gauthier, Josef Schmutz, Allen Patkau, Patrick Fargey and Michael Schellenberg, Editors. 2007. Homes on the range: Conservation in working prairie landscapes. Proceedings of the 8th Prairie Conservation and Endangered Species Workshop, Regina, SK.
- Belcher, Ken W., Andrea E. Germann and Josef K. Schmutz. 2007. Beef with environmental and quality attributes: Preferences of environmental group and general population consumers in Saskatchewan, Canada. Agriculture and Human Values 24:333-342.
- Schmutz, S.M., T. G. Berryere, J. L. Barta, K.D. Reddick, and J. K. Schmutz. 2007.
Agouti sequence polymorphism in coyotes, wolves and dogs suggest hybridization. Journal of Heredity 98:351-355.
- Olson, Randy W., Josef K. Schmutz and U. Theodore Hammer. 2005. Occurrence, composition and formation of Ruppia balls in Saskatchewan lakes. Canadian Field-Naturalist 119:114-117.
- Belcher, Ken, and Josef K. Schmutz. 2005. Management of the Prairie Landscape Through Strategic Consumer-Producer Co-operatives. Prairie Forum 30:55-72.
Recent Affiliations and Activities
- Board of Directors, Saskatchewan Environmental Society, 2006-present
- Associate Editor, Blue Jay, Nature Saskatchewan, Regina, 1999-present.
- Saskatchewan River Delta Technical Working Group, 2007-present.
- Water Committee, Saskatchewan Environmental Society, 2006-present, with grant-support from the Walter and Duncan Gordon Foundation.
- Alberta Ferruginous Hawk Recovery Team, Appointed by the Minister of Alberta
Sustainable Resource development, 2006-present.
- Organizing Committee, Workshop Co-chair and Editorial Committee member, 2006-2008. 8th Prairie conservation and endangered species conference and workshop. 1-3 March 2007. Proceedings published in 2008.
for further information contact:
Joe Schmutz, Ph.D.
back to Joe Schmutz Main Page
This webpage was last updated September 16, 2014 by Sheila Schmutz